Revision to Start of Season Approved for Baseball, Softball
The KHSAA Board of Control conducted its fourth regularly scheduled meeting of the 2021-22 academic year on Wednesday at the KHSAA Office and made some modifications to the playing and postseason schedule for baseball. This change on dates for regular season play will also be available to softball teams.
This action taken by the Board approved allowing the beginning of the season to be shifted one week earlier than the past couple of seasons. This start date returns the start of softball play to the middle of March and will allow for districts to begin their postseason tournaments earlier as well. This local flexibility in scheduling will also help with scheduling concerns around end-of-year activities as well as other conflicts. There was no change in the original First Round State and State Final Tournament dates which will give additional flexibility not only for districts but for regions to be creative with their schedule. These changes adopted are effective with the 2022 season.
Revised corresponding dates for the 2022 Softball season:
- First Date of Practice: Feb. 15 (No Change)
- First Contest Date: March 14
- District Tournaments: May begin May 16. In addition, districts can vote by majority to play the weekend prior should they choose to do so and must simply notify the Association.
- Region Tournaments: May begin as early as May 23 and are to be concluded not later than Monday, May 30. In addition, regions can vote by majority to play the weekend prior should they choose to do so and must simply notify the Association.
John Cropp Stadium, UK, Lexington
(Blind draw Regions 1-16)
- State Tournament First Round: June 3-4
- State Tournament Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Final: June 10-12